When I gave my grandfather
When I gave my widowed grandfather a pillow printed with my late grandmother’s laughing face, he cried like I’d brought her back to life. Six months later, I found that same pillow tossed in the trash, covered in coffee grounds and tomato sauce. And that still wasn’t the worst thing I discovered that day. After Grandma Esther passed away, something deep inside Grandpa Arthur broke and never fully healed. I’d go to hisa small cottage and every single night I’d see him fall asleep holding her framed photo tight against his chest. It hurt my heart every time. So I decided to do something. I picked my absolute favorite picture of her (the one where she’s laughing with her eyes all crinkled, taken at some old family barbecue) and had it printed on a soft cream pillow you could really hug. When the package reached him, Grandpa Arthur rang me less than an hour later. “Thea? Honey…” His voice was shaking with tears. “This is the most wonderful thing anyone has ever done for me. When I hol...

.jpeg)